Skip to Content

Can Outdoor Extension Cords Get Wet [An Explanation Guide]

This article is for informational purposes. Always seek the advice of qualified professionals.

You’ll need outdoor extension cords if you plan to buy a new home. Your concern may be with what will happen in the case that the cords get wet. Continue reading the rest of the article to know more about this topic!

Can outdoor extension cords get wet?

Extender cords for outdoor use can be wet. But several variables play a role in this. For example, don’t leave cords plugged in if the manufacturers don’t rate them outdoors. Make sure the outlet is waterproof as well. There’s less to worry about if the water merely touches the plastic and rubber portions. Everything becomes more problematic if the extension cord’s plug or outlets are wet.

It’s essential to look at other factors before deciding on an inspection.

For your benefit, I’ve drafted up a thorough discussion.

Continue reading please if you’re really interested!

Can Outdoor Extension Cords Really Get Wet?

Outdoor extension cord is vastly different from the indoor one because of its better features. One of the pros of outdoor extension cord is; you can leave it outside for a significant period (Max 2 days). The protective coatings on outdoor cords may deteriorate if left outside for extended times. 

Because of this, the wires inside may be exposed by the breakdown of the materials. It can then create a spark, shock, or cause a fire. And putting out fire in your house is quite difficult

While it’s raining, it’s OK to leave some extension cords connected. But several variables play a role in this. Lastly, be certain that the outlet is watertight.

In either case, keep an eye out for thunderstorms and lightning as well. Leaving electrical wires plugged in during inclement weather is a risk. Unplug your outer wires and bring them inside during a storm.

What Happens when an Outdoor Extension Cord Gets Wet?

If water gets into the sockets or the plug, it’s an issue. Knowing these problems is important. 

Water damage to exposed wires can take the following forms:

Electrocution

Depending on the circumstances, an extension cable can electrocute the person who touches it. Wet or exposed wires are the most common causes of electrocution.

Only discomfort results when the power is turned down too low. Any time you hook in an extension cable to a power source, the voltage can rise to dangerously high levels.

Fires

Fire issue is the primary concern. Many people assume that a wet extension cord might start ablaze. They don’t have it entirely backward. 

Plugging a device into a damp electrical outlet can generate a short circuit. Even an electrical fire can be caused by overheating or melting of cables.

The moisture in an outlet might lead to a quick increase in the current being pulled. The wires will overheat and finally catch fire unless a fuse is added. 

Water can damage wiring and cause rust if it isn’t removed. You need to know outdoor extension cord safety measures for avoiding fire issues.

What to Do If Water Gets Inside the Outdoor Extension Cord?

Liquids getting into your extension cord do not indicate your equipment is doomed.

Now let’s talk about what to do if your extension cord gets wet. Take a look at the info below-

Step 1: Unplug the Device from the Power Source

You must unplug your extension cord from the power source if it has become wet. Before moving on to the following stage, make sure your hands are clean and free of any residue. Put on rubber gloves if you don’t have them on.

Take urgent action to ensure that no electricity flows via your extension cord. After unplugging your extension cord, move it to a dry spot. Finally, remove the extension cord from any electronic devices.

Step 2: Dry Your Extension Cord before Proceeding

Wipe down the extension cord’s exterior casing with a clean, dry cloth. Check the plugs and outlets carefully. This should remove any residue that could potentially carry the voltage to you.

You can use a hairdryer to remove most of the water from the inside sections. Make sure the heat of the hairdryer is at a low setting.  

To remove any remaining water, hang the extension wire. Other options include a few hours or even days in front of an electric fan.

The extension cord can be tested once it is scorched by plugging in the cord on its own. Make sure the extension cord doesn’t become too hot. Because only that way you’re set to go. 

If these instructions can’t solve your problem, you need to call a technician for a final check. You can also go for a permanent outdoor extension cord. Because it’ll save you from any sudden danger.

How to Protect Your Outdoor Extension Cords from Getting Wet?

I used a simple DIY trick to protect my outdoor extension cords from rain. This way it stayed dry and functioned perfectly. 

That’s why I’m putting it out there for you to see. This way you can keep your extension power cords perfectly dry and safe. This approach is practical when you have exterior extension cords.

Extension cords can be protected from the elements by forming a shield. Just follow the methods outlined below:

Get Plastic Container

Purchase plastic containers. Reusing items you currently own saves you money over purchasing new ones. They’re a little stiff. These boxes can be placed on the ground as a “dry box.”

Drill into the Container 

At the top and bottom, drill holes. If you need more space, you can use an extension cord to get it. Although the container must be large enough to keep water from getting in.

Cut Holes into Your Container

Use a utility knife (with caution) to cut the holes as needed. Allow enough room between the pieces of plastic. This way you can place the plug into the container. Once done, reattach the top.

And you’re finished!

Keep your extension cable plugs inside. The container will keep them dry and protected from the elements.

It doesn’t have to be a ridiculously airtight container. The store-bought version will suffice. This level of security is adequate. 

It will work well. As a bonus, it will keep the power cords from getting wet and on the ground. The outcome is that it will allow you to keep your lights on all season long. 

If this DIY method can’t help you, purchase a waterproof outdoor extension cord. Check out these products from below to make a purchase-

Product-1
Product-2

My word ends here today. Do remember, choosing the wrong option for your home could lead to its demise. Also, make sure to learn the basic fire safety rules to avoid sudden dangers.

FAQs

Question: How do outdoor extension cords function?

Answer: In order to keep outside cords dry and warm, they are insulated. Sunlight can also deteriorate the insulation of interior extension cords. A special substance is used to make extension cords for outside use. It protects them from the effects of light.

Question: How can you determine that you can use an extension cord outside?

Answer: You may rely on using the letter designation to ensure this. Using the letter “W” on the extension cord box or the card signifies that the cord is meant to be outside. Outdoor extension cords are typically rubber, vinyl, or plastic and feature bright orange covers.

Question: Are there any differences in the extension cords used indoors versus outdoors?

Answer: Outdoor extension cords are significantly different from their indoor counterparts due to their superior insulation. A lack of protective insulation prevents moisture and temperature changes from affecting the conductivity. Extender cords for outdoor use are likewise designed to resist long exposure to sunlight.

Conclusion

This article concludes my discussion of can outdoor extension cords get wet. Your options are clear now. 

All of the preceding information should be reviewed before making a decision. Make sure you’re following these facts for your own safety. 

I wish you good luck!