As an interior designer of almost twenty years, I know first-hand how renovating your home can be a great way to improve its functionality, increase its overall value, and enhance its aesthetic.
But it can also be expensive, especially in today’s economic climate. Luckily, I’ve got several ways you can renovate on a slim budget and still achieve the results you want. Here are my personal tips for renovating on a budget in 2023.
Tips for Renovating a Kitchen on a Budget
The kitchen is one of the most used areas in a home, and it can also be one of the most expensive to renovate because of fixtures like cabinetry, appliances, and plumbing. But I know several budget-friendly ways to update your kitchen without breaking the bank:
- Painting cabinetry
- Replace cabinet hardware
- Add some tile backsplash
- Update lighting
I know it’s tempting to rip out your kitchen cabinetry and get all new ones, but did you know it’s one of the most expensive and labor-intensive renovations you can do to your home?
So, instead of replacing your cabinets, you can sand and paint them to give them a fresh look. If you don’t like the look of painted cabinetry and have wooden fronts, give them a good sanding and apply a few coats of fresh stain.
Swapping out outdated hardware like handles and knobs can refresh your cabinetry, especially if you’re refinishing them.
Adding tiles along the back of your countertop is another inexpensive update. It’s accessible to DIY and you can shop around your local hardware stores for deals on backsplash tiles.
Tips for Renovating a Bathroom on a Budget
Another area that can be costly to renovate is the bathroom. Like the kitchen, it contains pricey and permanent fixtures like a vanity, toilet, and tub. Here are my tips for updating a bathroom with a meager budget:
- Don’t worry about replacing your bathtub or shower (unless they’re beyond saving). Instead, you can reglaze it to give it a fresh look. I recommend a bathroom reglazing kit that comes with everything you need.
- You can also replace your toilet seat.
- Another effective way to upgrade your bathroom is by installing a stylish and functional shower enclosure, which can elevate the overall aesthetic appeal while providing a more enjoyable bathing experience.
- Install a new faucet or replace your showerhead to add style to your bathroom.
- Add new accessories, like a shower curtain, to give your bathroom a pop of color.
- A new paint color on the walls can completely change the entire vibe of a bathroom. Go for light tones of blue, grey, white, and cream.
Tips for Renovating Bedrooms on a Budget
Bedrooms are an overlooked space for home renovations, but they’re just as important as any other part of your home. And, thankfully, they don’t require a lot of work to update.
One budget-friendly way to update your bedroom is to paint the walls a new color or add some wallpaper to create an accent wall either behind the bed or on the wall facing the bed.
Replacing your bedding and pillows to add some new colors and textures to your space not only makes it look better, but it’s good to update your bedding every so often anyway.
Also, you can update your lighting fixtures or add some new artwork to give your bedroom a new look.
All these items can be bought online with some savvy shopping for deals.
Tips for Renovating a Basement on a Budget
Basements are often underutilized in a home but can be transformed into functional spaces with budget-friendly renovations. Here are my tried-and-true methods of renovating a basement space:
- Paint the walls to create a more inviting atmosphere.
- Grab some inexpensive carpet in a plain color to install.
- Add some new storage solutions or shelving units to organize the space.
- Install new lighting fixtures.
- Consider installing a universal access door to ensure ease of access to plumbing, thus avoiding any damage to the drywall in case of repairs.
- Shop around for deals on new furniture to create a comfortable and inviting space. Or opt for nice furniture covers to give your existing pieces an uplift.
What Areas are Best to Renovate?
If you’re hoping to renovate on a budget, first sit down and prioritize the areas that will provide the most value for your money.
The spaces that are typically the most valuable to renovate include the kitchen due to cabinetry and appliances, bathrooms because of the plumbing fixtures, and any outdoor living areas.
These heavily used spaces are often the most used and can significantly improve the overall value of your home, sometimes adding a 75% value to your investment. This is great if you’re planning to sell in the near future.
Where Should I Focus with a Limited Budget?
Let’s face it, we’re all on a budget these days. So, if you need some renovations, I always tell people to focus on the areas that will make the biggest impact for the least amount of money.
Updating your kitchen cabinets or bathroom fixtures with a fresh coat of paint or stain can significantly improve the overall appearance of your home without breaking the bank.
Also, small updates like painting the walls a fresh new color or adding new accessories like overhead lighting and cabinet door handles can have a massive impact on the look and feel of your space.
What Renovations Can Add the Most Value to a Home?
When trying to increase the monetary value of your home, particular renovations are far more valuable than others, including adding a deck or patio, updating your kitchen or bathroom, and adding energy-efficient features such as new windows or insulation.
These renovations can significantly improve the overall value of your home and provide a good return on investment.
Be a Savvy Renovator!
Renovating your house can be daunting, but with my budget-friendly tips, I promise you can give your home a new look without breaking the bank. Just focus your efforts on areas like the kitchen, bathroom, and yards to make the biggest impact on the overall value of your home.
And remember, even small updates like painting or adding new accessories can go a long way in creating a fresh new look. With my expert tips, you can renovate your home on a budget in 2023 and get a look you’re happy with.