Your Whirlpool refrigerator may be running warm when it should be cooling. This is bad for someone with a stocked fridge.
Getting the fridge to work as it is a priority. A few DIY solutions help you get things back in order before bringing in a professional.
Try the following tricks to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue. Several potential causes trigger cooling failure. I suggest trying all options before hiring a professional.
Start by Identifying the Causes. Below are some probable causes of cooling failure when dealing with Whirlpool fridges
Troubleshooting a Fridge that has Cooling Problems
Before we get into the specific causes of the cooling error, a few signs prove the error exists. This can help you with general troubleshooting.
Watch out for the following signs:
- Your stored food spoils quickly and has terrible odors
- Your food and beverage packaging contain excess condensation when in the fridge
- The temperature of your fridge is lukewarm or feels like room temperature.
These signs should trigger you to find a solution for your fridge cooling errors. Common causes for such errors include:
Your Refrigerator’s Condenser Coils are Dirty
Most Whirlpool fridges fail to cool when the condenser coils are filthy. This is the first common cause of this failure.
Usually, the condenser coils dissipate heat as the refrigerant passes through them. Any clogging and accumulation of debris on the coils hinder proper heat dissipation.
This can also cause the fridge to be loud since it works extra hard. You can fix this in the following simple steps:
- Moving your fridge away from the wall. This will allow better access to the back of your fridge since the condenser coils will be exposed. Go ahead and clean the coils. Clean all removable parts before replacing them.
- Vacuum the external hardware. Most people hardly clean the outside of the fridge, especially at the back. It triggers years of dirt and debris accumulation. These tend to overwork the refrigerator. Use the narrow attachment of your vacuum’s hose to clean the external hardware.
- Use your dryer brush to clean the condenser coils. A dryer brush helps when cleaning stubborn and problematic debris. These cannot be cleared by vacuuming.
- Finish by vacuuming. Once all the dirt has been removed, clean the back of the fridge one more time before putting it back in its palace. Make sure to follow this routine for better functionality and improved cooling.
Loose Door Seal
Defective door seals come second in causing cooling failure in Whirlpool fridges. A broken seal means that the air can escape.
This seal guarantees proper closure of the fridge. It ensures proper locking of the fridge’s interior.
There will be no air leaking outside, thus adequate cooling. Always check the door seal for damage and replace the seal when necessary.
Improper Temperature Setting
Sometimes the cooling error displays on your fridge because of a wrong temperature setting. This is often the first suspect if the refrigerator fails to cool. It is even clearer if the freezer works perfectly.
Use the owner’s manual and follow the recommended temperature setting in such cases. The manufacturer has a default setting that ensures your fridge operates optimally. Always check and reset the temperature as many times as you need to.
Power Failure Issues
A power failure is one of the hidden causes of cooling errors in most Whirlpool fridges.
In case of a power failure, I advise you do the following to correct the error:
- Inspect the cord. Your goal is to ensure this cord snugly fits into the power outlet and is not loosely connected.
- Inspect the cord. Identify any signs of damage and wearing off. You should consider replacing the cable if it has a crack or is tearing due to long wearing.
- Inspect the circuit breaker whenever a fuse blows, the circuit breaker trips. Replace the fuse with a new one, and then flip the fuse back into the correct position.
Your Whirlpool fridge may experience cooling errors if certain parts malfunction. If all the troubleshooting efforts fail, the cooling issue could result from a broken part.
The problem may emanate from a failing condenser fan motor. A failing thermostat is also a possibility.
In such cases, a technician is in a better position to assist. They will open the fridge to examine specific parts before giving possible solutions.
Call the service center for a repair technician you can trust. Alternatively, have a local handyman with experience check it out.
The remedy will depend on the experts’ diagnosis and suggestion.
Wrong Fridge Installation Location
Sometimes the misuse of gadgets affects their efficiency. Indoor refrigerators are not for outdoor usage since the cooling mechanism will fail.
Avoid installing indoor refrigerators in the garage where the temperature may drop sharply. Even when the location is correct, ensure enough room for proper air circulation. Make sure the fridge has enough clearance on all sides.
Wrong Food Organization
Most owners never look inwards when their fridge develops cooling challenges. Sometimes the problem is as simple as cluttering the fridge space. Organize it in a manner that allows for proper air circulation. Get fridge organizers to help you achieve this goal. Always remember not to overpack the fridge.
What is the most common problem with Whirlpool refrigerators?
Usually, the biggest problem is dirty condenser coils. This often leads to poor cooling efficiency and leads to loud noises.
Why is my new Whirlpool fridge not cooling, but the freezer works?
This could be a temperature-setting issue. Reset your fridge temperature as directed by the manufacturer. If it persists, it may be a malfunctioning or defective evaporator fan motor.
What is the average lifespan of a Whirlpool refrigerator?
Well-maintained Whirlpool refrigerators can serve you for up to 12 years. This happens without any hitches or significant part replacements.